What to Ask Your Doctor About Stage 0 Melanoma (in situ)
You may find it helpful to print out these questions and bring them with you to your next doctor's visit.
- What is the difference between an in situ melanoma and an invasive melanoma?
- Does the biopsy show that all the melanoma was removed or will I need another biopsy?
- How deep was the deepest part of the melanoma? (Breslow Depth).
- Do you think that we should request a second opinion on the biopsy specimen to confirm the diagnosis before we proceed with treatment or further work-up?
- If I need a wide local excision does the surgeon you recommend have experience performing this procedure in melanoma patients?
- Are there approaches other than surgery that would be appropriate for my melanoma?
- Based on what you know about my melanoma at this time, what are the chances that the melanoma has spread to other parts of my body?
- What are the chances of my cancer coming back?
- What are the chances of my developing a new melanoma?
- Will I need additional tests or procedures to confirm the stage of my melanoma?
- What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- What is my prognosis if I follow this treatment plan?
- Will you be directing my care and work-up, or will another doctor be overseeing my care?
- When type of follow-up will I need?
- What steps can I take to reduce the risk of additional new melanomas?
General Questions for Stage 0
- Have you looked at all my other moles and examined my lymph nodes?
- How frequently should I follow up with you for a skin cancer screening?
- What steps can I take to reduce my risk of developing another melanoma?
- What is the risk of my family members developing melanoma?