What to Ask Your Doctor About Stage I Melanoma
- What criteria did I meet to be diagnosed with Stage I melanoma?
- Does the biopsy show that all the melanoma was removed or will I need another biopsy?
- What is the Breslow depth (maximum depth of invasion) of the melanoma?
- Were there other concerning features on the biopsy such as ulceration or a high mitotic rate?
- Do you think that we should request a second opinion on the biopsy specimen to confirm the diagnosis before we proceed with treatment or further work-up?
- Do I need to have a sentinel lymph node biopsy done?
- If I need a sentinel lymph node biopsy, how much experience does the surgeon whom you are recommending have in performing that procedure?
- Do you recommend that I get a second opinion regarding this procedure?
- Are there approaches other than surgery that would be appropriate for my melanoma?
- Based on what you know about my melanoma at this time, what are the chances that the melanoma has spread to other parts of my body?
- What are the chances of my cancer coming back?
What are the chances of my developing a new melanoma?
Will I need additional tests or procedures to confirm the stage of my melanoma?
What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
What is my prognosis if I follow this treatment plan?
Will you be directing my care and work-up, or will another doctor be overseeing my care?
What type of follow-up will I need?
What steps can I take to reduce the risk of additional new melanomas?
General Questions for Stage I
- Have you looked at all my other moles and examined my lymph nodes?
- How frequently show I follow up with you for a skin cancer screening?
- What steps can I take to reduce my risk of developing another melanoma?
- What is the risk of my family members developing melanoma?