What to Ask Your Doctor About Stage II Melanoma
- What criteria did I meet to be diagnosed with Stage II melanoma?
- Does the biopsy show that all the melanoma was removed or will I need another biopsy?
- What is the Breslow depth (maximum depth of invasion) of the melanoma?
- Were there other concerning features on the biopsy such as ulceration or a high mitotic rate?
- Do you think that we should request a second opinion on the biopsy specimen to confirm the diagnosis before we proceed with treatment or further work-up?
- Will you be sending me for a sentinel lymph node biopsy?
- How much experience does the surgeon whom you are recommending have in performing that procedure?
- Based on what you know about my melanoma at this time, what are the chances that the melanoma has spread to other parts of my body?
- What are the chances of my cancer coming back?
- What are the chances of my developing a new melanoma?
- Will I need additional tests or procedures to confirm the stage of my melanoma?
- Do you recommend that I see a medical oncologist?
- What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- Should I consider the use of adjuvant or chemotherapy to treat my melanoma? Why?
- What are the goals of the treatment?
What are the possible side effects of these treatments?
Should I consider enrolling in a clinical trial?
What type of follow-up will I need?
- What steps can I take to reduce the risk of additional new melanomas?
General Questions for Stage II
- Have you looked at all my other moles?
- How frequently show I follow up with you for a skin cancer screening?
- What steps can I take to reduce my risk of developing another melanoma?
- What is the risk of my family members developing melanoma?