What to Ask Your Doctor about Your Melanoma Diagnosis
You may find it helpful to print out these questions and bring them with you to your next doctor’s visit.
- Do you know what stage of melanoma I have?
- What is the thickness, in millimeters, of the melanoma (Breslow Depth)?
- Is the melanoma ulcerated?
- Did the surgery remove all of the cancer?
- Do I need additional surgery?
- What are the chances of my cancer coming back?
- Will I need additional tests or procedures to confirm the stage of my melanoma?
- Should I have another type(s) of treatment following surgery?
- What are my treatment options?
- What are clinical trials? Would any be appropriate for me?
- What treatment plan do you recommend? Why?
- What are the goals of this treatment?
- What are the side effects of this treatment?
- What is my prognosis if I follow this treatment plan?
- What follow-up care is necessary?
- How frequently should I follow up with you for a skin cancer screening?
- What steps can I take to reduce my risk of developing another melanoma?
- What recommendations do you have for sun protection?
- What is the risk of my family members developing melanoma?
It is important to get a second opinion
Find a Melanoma Specialist